mandag 10. november 2008

Chinese words of wisdom

As a continuation of the last subject, I think it will be good to enlighten my blog readers with some Chinese wisdom. From the ancient old times of China, to the pragmatic truths of today.


Words by Confucius: "He er bu tong","Harmony without conformity"

We may have the same purpose, but should still have our own mind and allow others to have their own mind. We shouldn't just follow the majority without thinking it over.

Crucial in a country as diverse as China I would say.


Chairman Mao: 百花齐放,百家争鸣
Bai hua qi fang, bai jia zheng ming. - Let the 100 schools speak their mind, like 100 different flowers blossom more beautifully together.

The meaning is that diversity is beautiful and shouldn't be suppressed.



And lastly, true wisdom, as spoken by Jia laoshi, my teacher:

If you see a very beautiful girl, tell her that she is beautiful (hen piao liang)
If she is not that beautiful, tell her that she is lovely (ke'ai)
If she is not beautiful at all, just tell her that she is very smart (hen cong ming)

Because I have my dear Jia laoshi, I have been able to survive in this confusing country. I wonder how can I do without these lessons on life when I go back..

4 kommentarer:

海盗 sa...

Hay,I find here by clicking the random button.
Then,I'm attacting by these pictures.
I'm a Chinese from ZheJIang province.
I don't know if you can read Chinese words,so I use English to communicate whit you.Fogive my pool English,maybe there are many grammer mistakes.
The Eight Trigrams,the“he er bu tong” I can see how you are interested in Chinese culture.As a Chinese,I am very happy.
The old Chinese saying: "He er bu tong" was said by Confucius,the most famous thinker of China.Another mean it has is that we can have the same purpose,but we should have our own mind and allow others have their minds.We should'n follow the majority without think.
"Bai hua qi fang, bai jia zhen ming" There is a spelling mistake in this sentence.It should be "zheng ming"(百花齐放,百家争鸣)

Glad to konw there are more and more friends like China and Chinese culture.If you are still in China,enjoy you travel.
If not,look forward to come to China once again,we all welcome you,best friend.

Leif-Arne sa...

I appreciate your comments :)
I will modify the post and try to make it more precise according to your explanation. Xie xie ni.

Anonym sa...

Hm. Hva om jenta er alt dette på en gang? At hun er både "beautiful, lovely and smart?" Hva sier du egentlig da?
Det var noe å tenke på!

olav

Leif-Arne sa...

Trur du he misforstått en smule, Olav. Hvis jentå æ alt dæ på en gong, då æ dæ ingen problem. Poenge mæ dette æ jo å kunna sei noge fint om ei jenta så ikkje he så møje.. å visa te på udsiå. :)